Author Topic: AT-43 IP  (Read 1325 times)

TheBobRoberts

• Nanite
    • View Profile
AT-43 IP
« on: Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 11:35:31 »
Can anyone clarify what happen to rackham exactly and say what's going on now? He's what I seem to have got:-
In the begining were Jean Bey and Pablo Parente, they came up with AT-43, the company hit problems, they left and some of their staff took over, Pablo went on to make dust tactics (the game he wanted from the start), Jean Bey sued to get the AT-43 Intellectual Property, Rackham went bust, a games company brought the IP.
If thats right has anyone heard from JB or have any other source on how the case is going?
« Last Edit: Thursday, 1 January 1970, 01:00:00 by Guest »

supercollider

• Sigma
    • View Profile
Re: AT-43 IP
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 12:31:08 »
Although some of that is not correct, the outcome was the same (Rackham bust, Cyanide bought the rights), and I don't have time now to do a full timeline (and much of the timeline is only being guessed at by anyone outside of the company anyway, regardless of appeals to authority otherwise).

Cyanide was already working on a PC game set in Aarklash, so when Rackham went bust, they HAD to buy the rights. Lets say I had bought the rights, and told Cyanide they couldn't release the game any more. That would have been at least two years work down the drain for Cyanide, so they bought the rights, and are going to release the PC game as planned. What happens from here is anybodies guess. There is still (as far as I know) a law suit going where JB was trying claim Rackham didn't have the rights by the end, and therefore they couldn't have been passed to Cyanide as part of the collapse, and they should still be with him. If we put that legal action to one side, and assume Cyanide are the rightful owners of the property.... If their game does well, I assume they'll keep the rights and milk them in the form of videos games, and we'll never get another miniature line officially based on them. If their game bombs, then I expect they'll off-load the rights, at which point maybe we'll get new miniatures.

hatamoto

• Delta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 17 July 2013, 22:42:11 »
anyone know how cyanides confrontation game did? from how the game turned out it couldnt have done too well

ByteMe

• Delta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 18 July 2013, 17:09:47 »
The game doesn't seem to have made much of a splash. I would never have heard about it if I wasn't such a Rackham afficionado. I have no idea whether or not it met Cyanide's marketing expectations. It hasn't been all that long since it was released (about a year or so). Given most software cycles are about a two year period I'd say the jury's still out on this one. We'll have a better sense in about another year, maybe two. If the game has indeed bombed then there is a glimmer of hope for AT-43. CoolMiniOrNot has already been licensed to use some of the Confrontation IP to release miniatures. Maybe Cyanide will similarly milk the AT-43 IP or sell it outright - it would just take somebody with enough funding to approach them and ask.

As for Jean Bey's lawsuit, I haven't heard how that turned out. I've got a vague sense that it was dismissed or dropped but I don't really know. It seems to me that by now it would have been settled one way or another, and since Cyanide is still clearly in control of the IP...

ByteMe

• Delta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 18 July 2013, 17:46:41 »
Well, I've dug around their website and Cyanide has released at least three other games in the Confrontation/Aarklash setting. I guess they must be doing okay if they keep punching them out. The Cadwallon game for iPad looks interesting - I'll have to check that out.

I don't know what this means for AT-43. Cyanide is definitely willing to license out IP for the production of miniatures - CoolMiniOrNot is making Confrontation minis right now. I think Cyanide would be happy to license out AT-43 to somebody with money and a good plan. CMON may be willing to do AT-43 stuff if a market is demonstrated. They're a bit expensive though.

hatamoto

• Delta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 18 July 2013, 19:00:53 »
Looked up Jean Bey on linkedin and it seems hes creative director for a computer game company, cant remember its name though. Really hope Cyanide doesnt just sit on the license because they dont know its potential.

supercollider

• Sigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 19 July 2013, 10:26:37 »
Interesting.

What makes you say computer game company? Does it say that if you log into Linkedin? The brief version just says they are working on an unannounced AAA title. Admittedly, that does sound computer-gamey, but could just be the terminology he's using for a new minis game.

http://http://hanakai-studio.com/

http://http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/jean-bey/18/819/65a

hatamoto

• Delta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 19 July 2013, 10:57:31 »
If you check under Jean Bey in the link you posted it says Computer Games, but maybe thats just a collective tag for anything gamey? :) hope it includes tabletop wargaming, and AT-43

supercollider

• Sigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 19 July 2013, 11:21:30 »
Oh yes, so it does!

He was always clearly an artist first, so I suppose I can see him moving into computer games instead of minis, but no matter how nice it is, a render is never going to be the same thing as the little miniature statues he used to preside over. Lets hope it's just the closest classification he could find! :)