Author Topic: Support units and Take Cover  (Read 270 times)

Psyronin

• Omicron
    • View Profile
Support units and Take Cover
« on: Friday, 9 December 2016, 21:11:48 »
On page 51 of the COGS army book it says
Fighters belonging to support units use the same rule as the
gunners : they automaticaly and freely get the combat drill «
take cover ! » of they don’t move during their activation.

Where is this generic gunners rule? There is this on the same page in a box:
In addition, if the Cog Gunner unit has not moved this
round, the unit is considered behind cover no matter where
it is on the battlefield, even if there are no obstacles to
grant the unit cover.

But automatic cover is not the same as having Take Cover, so it can't be referring to that box rule.

Gurth

• Overseer
  • Sigma
    • View Profile
    • http://at-43.understairs.nl
Re: Support units and Take Cover
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 10 December 2016, 10:48:24 »
I’m not sure, but this could be an editing oversight resulting from a change in the rules. Did the Cogs get Take Cover for free in a playtest version of the rules, only for it to be changed to being considered in cover?
… I know all this and more …

ByteMe

• Omicron
    • View Profile
Re: Support units and Take Cover
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 11 December 2016, 04:12:50 »
I think this is just a translation issue (as Rackham so often had). You left out a small part of the text callout at the bottom of page 51. It says (right before the part you quoted): "Cog Gunners use the same rules as Cogs infantry for cover (see Cogs and Cover, p. 37." Those rules state that Cogs may NEVER benefit from normal cover: they can ONLY get cover if they are given the Take Cover drill. Unless they are completely out of sight, a Cogs unit just doesn't get any cover bonus unless they take the Take Cover drill. However, if they DO take the Take Cover drill then they always get the Take Cover benefit even if there is nothing anywhere near them to get cover from.

I believe the callout text you quoted simply was not translated correctly, or perhaps (as Gurth wrote) that wording was left over from a previous test version where the Cogs got cover bonuses as normal. As the Cogs cover rules stand now (page 37), the only reasonable interpretation for this passage is that the Cogs Gunners (aka mobile support units) can be given the Take Cover drill for free if they haven't moved during their activation. Other than being a free drill, this interpretation is consistent with the rest of the Cogs cover rules on page 37.
« Last Edit: Sunday, 11 December 2016, 04:14:58 by ByteMe »