Author Topic: Cardstock terrain  (Read 2735 times)

Gurth

• Overseer
  • Sigma
    • View Profile
    • http://at-43.understairs.nl
Cardstock terrain
« on: Friday, 20 September 2013, 11:12:52 »
In another thread,
Quote from: me
and then
Quote from: ByteMe
I'm geeking out about that techno-tower you've got there. Is that some sort of cardstock item? Give us the scoop man, I also build some cardstock terrain from time to time and enquiring minds want to know!
It's the Control Tower by a company called Twenty First Century Games s.r.l. from Monza, Italy, but I think they're long defunct. The whole thing is about 70 cm tall, and the roof comes off so you can place models inside the top level. My only addition is the red and black plastic thing at the top, which is a flashing red light intended for putting on a bicycle (or a cyclist's clothing), but I drilled a hole into the back and inserted a nail into it, so that I could spike the light to the top of the tower. Though it looks cool, the tower is actually pretty useless as terrain unless you're playing something like 40K 3rd or 4th edition — models need to go up seven flights of stairs to reach the top, each about 13 cm long. That means your typical AT-43 Avans will be spending five turns climbing up, or four turns for Therians … (The reason I say it's useful in older editions of 40K is because all range was measured horizontally back then, so you could at least shoot at everyone nearby, who would be unable to assault you.)

If I'm not mistaken, in the cardboard box marked "VDB" that's also in the picture, is that same company's Elevated Monorailway — but I don't feel like taking all those boxes on top of it down to check <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> You can see some photos of it in my booklet for players of That Other Game®, but it's basically in the same style as the tower.

I also once bought a kind of missile launch base by this publisher at a small convention in Germany, but I gave that to the people who were putting me up (putting up with me?) for the duration of that.

Other cardstock terrain I have is the Gorkamorka fort (probably no big surprise, as you can see the box of that in the photo — however, I acquired the fort and the rest of the game separately, years apart <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->) and some bits and pieces of the 3rd edition 40K starter set.

Quote from: ByteMe
(I'd love to see a separate thread regarding cardstock terrain sometime - with pix! Everybody post up pix of your cardstock terrain!)
Well, here it is <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 3 December 2013, 10:56:37 by Gurth »
… I know all this and more …

Danielc

• Delta
    • View Profile
Re: Cardstock terrain
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 20 September 2013, 20:22:35 »
Mil-Net has templates for a wonderful drop ship.

Also Germy has some great 28mm building paper models for free.
« Last Edit: Thursday, 1 January 1970, 01:00:00 by Guest »
Where force is necessary, there it must be applied boldly, decisively and completely. But one must know the limitations of force; one must know when to blend force with a maneuver, a blow with an agreement.  --  Leon Trotsky

ByteMe

• Omicron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 20 September 2013, 21:29:49 »
I've been a big fan of World Works for a long time. They cover a lot of genres, but their SciFi stuff in particular (http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=catalog&cat_id=1&genre_id=3) is pretty good. I've purchased a few of their sets in the interests of making some modular game boards for AT-43 (among other things). I've only managed to make some small amount of progress on that. I'm going to have to change that soon.
« Last Edit: Thursday, 21 November 2013, 19:36:49 by ByteMe »

dulydude

• Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 3 June 2014, 00:59:53 »
thought this might be of interested to those doing cardstock terrain
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/130159/Bunker-Model1
it looks very similar to the old bunker, might have the same dimensions!

will post this in the main terrain thread too
Infinity WARCOR
--------------------------------
Woot I have a blog!!! http://dulydudesshenanigans.blogspot.com.au/

Gurth

• Overseer
  • Sigma
    • View Profile
    • http://at-43.understairs.nl
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 3 June 2014, 10:46:33 »
It looks somewhat similar, but not quite the same :) As for dimensions, going by the site you linked to it’s slightly smaller than Rackham’s bunker if I measure up the plan on the back of the Operation Frostbite “Gaming Aid” booklet — about a centimeter in width (long side) and one and a half in depth (short side). I don’t have the plastic bunker so I can’t say anything about height differences.
… I know all this and more …